Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: backwards film trickery

  1. #1
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This week I finally got back my film from
    my first Super 8 short. If anyone recalls I
    asked about using K40 in low light situations. I found that with my camera set
    at f1.2 (the widest setting) I was able to
    get satisfactory to excellent results using
    only a few 100 watt bulbs. So thanks to all
    for your advice, I learned a lot.

    Now part of my film involves a gag projecting
    a scene backwards. I have a few questions about this. I am going to be transfering it to digital. So would it better to let the computer render the backwards footage or should I splice it manually before the transfer? I am wondering if there is a dulling of picture quality because the emulsion is flipped over? I am also concerned about the film getting scratched up for the same reason.

    I eventually plan to edit the film by hand just so I have the option of projecting it.
    But what I am concerned about right now is getting the best possible video transfer done.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 26, 2002 08:00 PM: Message edited by: woods01 ]</font>

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you'll have to shoot the backwards part with the camera upside down, if I am remembering correctly. Then just flip the film end for end turn it over to splice it in. When you get to the piece of projected footage that is upside down and backwards (so the action appears to move backward), you MIGHT have to refocus the projector slightly because the emulsion with the image is a slightly different distance from the spot the projector focus is on.

    If you are digitizing this footage, it may be far easier to reverse the action in your computer. It'll just take a little rendering time, that's all.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, just shoot normally and do it in the computer.

    For the best reverse gag of all time, watch the movie "Top Secret".
    It's the second film from Zucker/Zucker/Abrams, who later did Airplane and the Naked Gun TV show & movies.
    Val Kilmer's first movie.
    There's a scene in a Swedish Bookstore that is shot completely backwards.
    The guy is supposed to be speaking Swedish, and there's subtitles, but since I've done backwards audio stuff, I recognized it right away and started laughing my head off.
    Really done well. It's worth renting the movie just for that scene, and also the underwater cowboy Bar scene, which must have been a nightmare to shoot!
    I'm talking a complete, western movie bar fight, shot completely underwater!
    Too bad Z/Z/A have gotten lazy, or lost their senses of humor, and don't make movies like this anymore.


    Matt "I'm serious, and stop callign me Shirley" Pacini

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 27, 2002 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Matt Pacini ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •